Canam Steel Corporation is a major US manufacturer of open web steel joists and steel deck. The company participates in thousands of projects each year ranging from large distribution centers and high rise projects, to small retail centers. The steel joist business in the US dates back to 1986 as a partnership with Canam Group and our steel deck business was launched by an acquisition of the United Steel Deck brand in 2010. The Corporation currently operates six fabrication facilities, several sales and engineering offices, and employs approximately 800 people across the United States.
Design and check building components – steel joists and metal deck – in accordance with contract documents to meet industry codes, practices, shop schedules, and consistent with corporate mission, values and department objectives.
- Structural steel design to ensure individual truss members and welds meet the requirements of applicable specifications and codes (SJI, SDI, AISC, AWS, etc.);
- Design building components through the use of computer software and supplementary tools;
- Redesign members for greater economy, and compare design weight with sales weight;
- Review contract documents and drafting work for completeness and proper depiction of special loading conditions;
- Generate shop fabrication documents, and clarify and resolve questions from the production lines.
- Understand CSC's products and processes, and contribute to improvement activities;
- Communicate and resolve issues with clients for new projects, and with field personnel;
- Meet shop schedule requirements, and coordinate with project managers for client requests;
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in an effective manner with customers, coworkers, clients and supervisors;
- Perform other job duties as assigned by supervisor.
Constant exposure to computer display and general office equipment. Occasionally exposed to shop environment.
- BS in Civil or Architectural Engineering with preference for structural emphasis;
- Professional licensure, or appropriate qualifications to obtain future licensure, preferred
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, specifications, governmental regulations, drawings and job specifications;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence; familiarity with computers, spreadsheets and design software;
- Ability to speak effectively with customers.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.