Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity for software engineers to join our fast growing, highly visible Watson North American development organization. As an IBM Watson software developer, you will be crucial to the advancement of Watson’s mission.
Our office location is in Pittsburgh, PA. The team in Pittsburgh works on Watson Discovery, a next generation AI enhanced information retrieval system.
How we work:
• Open and collaborative office environment - no cubicles, plenty of whiteboards, and lots of active communication
• Close collaboration with world class researchers at IBM Research
• Global development - We work with teams across the globe
• Software craftsmanship - We care about what we build. Test Driven Development (TDD), small commits in Git, code reviews, continuous integration and deployment, and daily standups with progress visualization
• Continuous learning: Lunch and learns, reading groups, culture of presenting at conferences, and opportunities to share and gain knowledge. Learning is part of the job
• Technologies we use - Java, Go, Python, Ruby, Git, Cucumber, Kubernetes
whatever is required to get the job done
• Work with designers, product owners to translate users’ needs and state of the art techniques into reality
• Agile work environment with a culture of continuous self-improvement (Kaizen)
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the potential of cloud computing, interested in information retrieval and search, about building elegant software solutions, and utilize agile development processes. We are looking for software developers who are motivated and successful in delivering high quality technology products/services in a high growth environment that responds well to change. You are also someone who demonstrates the leadership, technical curiosity, and tenacity to partner with some of the leading technologists in the field of cognitive computing and information retrieval. You want to use your abilities to deliver the next generation of large-scale information retrieval systems.
You will have demonstrated experience in object oriented or functional programming such as Java, Scala, C#, or similar.
You will have experience in at least one of the following areas:
• Experience with Cloud / Microservices development
• Experience with Databases, Message Queues, and other scalable systems
• Representational State Transfer (REST)ful services
• Reactive and elastic systems
• Distributed computing
• Agile practices
• Leading software development teams through the project lifecycle.
• Providing architectural guidance
Ideal candidates might also have experience in some of the following areas:
• Machine learning, NLP experience
• Information retrieval e.g. Elastic Search, Solr, Lucene, Watson Explorer or other search systems
• Test driven development
• DevOps and continuous delivery
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
demonstrated experience in object oriented or functional programming such as Java, Scala, C#, or similar.
demonstrated experience leading software development teams.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
Cloud application development, Experience with Search systems, DevOps
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.